Why iced slushy drinks may be harmful for kids

Space-Separated Links URL URL URL URL Space-Separated Links URL URL URL URL Space-Separated Links url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url


A mother or father has issued an pressing warning after her son almost died after ingesting a slushy after college.

4-year-old Albie was with a pal in a bowling alley on October 13 in Warwickshire, UK, after they had been handed a small strawberry slushy.

He had loved them numerous instances earlier than so his mum Beth thought it could be a pleasant deal with for his after-school exercise, Kidspot reviews.

The little boy was over the moon along with his tasty drink however an hour after he completed the frozen beverage his manner modified.

Beth strapped her son within the again seat of the automobile when he all of the sudden grew to become “drained and agitated.”

For extra tales like this, go to kidspot.com.au

“It was a very unusual expertise. He saved screaming ‘no’ and ‘depart me alone’ in his automobile seat. He was screaming then going floppy once more,” she mentioned.

At first, she thought he had a virus or was simply drained from the thrilling recreation of bowling he performed earlier however issues took a worrying flip.

Albie started “clawing at his face” and hallucinating within the again seat earlier than he collapsed, falling unconscious.

“At this level, I don’t even recall if he was respiration,” the terrified 24-year-old mentioned.

“He was a lifeless weight after I carried him via the door, he was unconscious.”

Beth rushed her son to the hospital however his physique was so heavy the medical workers had been struggling to maintain him awake.

“They had been shaking him, making an attempt to wake him up, however he wasn’t responding,” she mentioned.

“They took him to the [resuscitation] room the place they began giving him rescue breaths as a result of he wasn’t respiration by himself.”

On the hospital, medical doctors informed Beth that her son’s coronary heart was beating at an “extraordinarily sluggish” price, and his blood sugar ranges had been dangerously low, main them to surprise if he had by accident consumed medication or was uncovered to insulin.

It took three days for Albie to recuperate from the slushie ordeal nevertheless it was a dangerously shut name.

Medical doctors informed Beth that her son may have died if they’d taken him house as a substitute of to emergency care.

“It was a really scary realisation,” the British mum mentioned.

They quickly realised he was doubtless struggling a response to glycerol – the ingredient used to stop slushies from freezing strong and giving them the slushy texture.

Glycerol is often protected when consumed by an grownup in small doses, however for youths, it could possibly probably be deadly.

“At very excessive ranges of publicity – usually when a number of of those merchandise are drunk by a baby in a brief house of time glycerol intoxication may trigger shock, hypoglycaemia and lack of consciousness,” mentioned the UK’s Meals Requirements Company (FSA).

Youngsters older than 4 may expertise adversarial reactions to the slushy drinks, albeit not as excessive.

In response to the FSA, kids aged 18 and beneath “might endure from complications and illness attributable to publicity to glycerol.”

Albie is the second baby to almost die after consuming slushies within the UK, with a Scottish toddler dropping consciousness lower than half an hour after consuming one of many chilly drinks.

Three-year-old Angus was in a purchasing centre along with his mum, Victoria, when he requested her for a raspberry slushy.

He’d by no means had one earlier than, so his mum thought it could be a candy deal with for her child to attempt.

However lower than half-hour after consuming the drink, the toddler began moaning to his mum that he needed to go house.

Changing into agitated and grumpy, the household continued strolling across the retailers for a short while earlier than his physique went “limp and stone chilly.”

“I assumed he’d thrown himself on the ground having a mood tantrum, however after I appeared his eyes had been behind his head, and he was having a seizure,” the horrified mum recalled.

She started screaming for assist, and shortly, an ambulance was taking him on to the hospital.

He was unconscious for 2 hours, and medical doctors informed Victoria her son’s blood sugar ranges had been dangerously low.

She thought he was going to die.

“It was the scariest factor I’d ever skilled,” Victoria mentioned. “He was effectively that day – there was nothing clearly flawed with him. There’s nothing like this within the household.”

In August 2023, the FSA issued a brand new warning in regards to the risks of kids beneath 4 consuming slushies. They’ve additionally suggested retailers to cease giving free refills to kids beneath 10, as they could develop into uncovered to excessive ranges of glycerol.

However mums like Victoria and Beth are urging for stricter guidelines to be put in place, lest a baby loses their life.

Beth is livid that her son had consumed so many slushies earlier than with out a problem, however this terrifying ordeal has scared her away from them for all times.

“I used to be offended that it was one thing so easy,” she mentioned. “I’m a mother or father that’s aware of what her baby consumes.”

Now, she says the British authorities must do extra to guard children and stop a tragedy from occurring.

“[The government] wants to lift the restrict on the rules,” mentioned Beth. “I don’t assume they need to be bought to under-10s.”

“That is one thing that each baby has which is marketed in direction of kids at theme parks, bowling, cinemas – that drink is all the time there.”

This story initially appeared on Kidspot and has been reproduced with permission