Kate Middleton footage receives new editor’s note from Getty Images

Space-Separated Links

URL URL URL URL URL URL


Global picture agency Getty Images has issued an explanation after attaching a new editor’s note on Kate Middleton’s cancer announcement video.

There was an immediate reaction online after some users spotted the caption on Monday, placed on the organisation’s version of the footage, which read: “This handout clip was provided by a third-party organisation and may not adhere to Getty Images’ editorial policy.”

Unsurprisingly, it also further fuelled unsubstantiated conspiracy theories which have swirled around the Princess of Wales’ condition in recent weeks.

Kate had sought to quash the increasingly frenzied speculation about her health with the deeply personal two-minute video, in which she spoke of the “incredibly tough” months she had endured privately as she dealt with the “huge shock” of her diagnosis.

Getty has now explained why it added the note to her video, telling E!News that it is a “standard editors note to handout content provided by third-party organisations” – in this case, being Kensington Palace.

It had previously been confirmed that Kate’s moving statement was filmed by BBC Studios two days before it was released on March 22.

Getty’s statement comes amid heightened scrutiny on Palace-issued content following the controversy surrounding Kate’s Mother’s Day picture with her three kids, which was later pulled from agencies including Getty, AFP and the Associated Press, with claims it had been digitally “manipulated.”

At the time, AFP’s news director Phil Chetwynd told E! that his organisations “trust” in Kensington Palace’s images had been “compromised”.

“At this moment in time, AFP’s trust in handout pictures from the [Kensington] Palace has been compromised,” he said in a statement on March 14.

“We cannot say they are a trusted source for handout pictures. We still require further explanations.”

Mr Chetwynd added that they would continue using the images provided by the Palace, but that they would be “subject to heightened scrutiny and editing checks”, and that he hoped that they could “rebuild … trust over time.”

The Princess of Wales herself took the blame for the editing error, issuing a rare personal statement to apologise for the “confusion” it had caused.

“Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing,” she wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter.

“I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother’s Day. C.”

Other Palace-issued images on Getty have since had editor’s notes added to their captions, including one taken by Kate which featured the late Queen Elizabeth II and her great-grandchildren, which states that it “has been digitally enhanced at source.”

Read related topics:Kate Middleton