Hannah McGuire bought house with ex before she was killed

Space-Separated Links


Victorian woman Hannah McGuire bought a house with her ex-boyfriend a year before he was charged with her murder.

Ms McGuire’s body was found in a burnt-out car at State Forest Road in Scarsdale, south of the town Ballarat on Friday, hours after her family had reported her missing.

Her ex-partner Lachie Young, 21, was charged with her murder on Sunday.

The pair, who are believed to have recently separated, had purchased a house together in Sebastopol, near Ballarat in regional Victoria, on March 17 last year.

A photo obtained by the Daily Mail shows the couple smiling next to a ‘sold’ sign outside the single-storey brick house as they commemorate the major milestone.

Young was arrested at the King Drive home on Sunday.

Police will allege Young killed Ms McGuire before driving to State Forest Rd in Scarsdale and setting the car on fire.

Do you have a story? Email tips@news.com.au

Young appeared in the Ballarat Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

His lawyer told the court the 21-year-old was in a state of declining mental health, and his family members had brought medication to the courthouse.

Young’s lawyer said she had received “nothing” from the police, and all the information she had was from the media.

The defendant appeared in person in the courtroom, standing within an encased dock.

McGuire’s father Glenn, mother Debbie and younger brother also attended, watching on from the public gallery.

No bail application was made. Mr Young is expected back in court for committal on September 19.

The police prosecutor requested 16 weeks to hand up a brief of evidence, which was granted.

The police E-crime unit and forensics were required to analyse multiple crime scenes, the prosecutor said. Pathology was expected to take 12 weeks, the prosecutor said.

Mr Young’s social media tribute to ex

The Herald Sun reports Mr Young allegedly posted an image on Instagram of himself and Ms McGuire just after 1am on Saturday, alongside a caption that read: “I will forever love you until we meet again make that sky pretty beautiful girl.”

According to the paper, police will allege Mr Young messaged Ms McGuire’s friends “indicating she had suicided”.

“The police came and seen me Friday lunchtime and told me she had done it and wasn’t with us anymore. This is my fault,” it allegedly read.

Ms McGuire’s parents are involved with the Clunes Cricket Club. Clunes is about 30km north of Ballarat.

The club has since launched a fundraiser to help cover the costs of Ms McGuire’s funeral and support her family.

“As a community we send our deepest love and condolences to Glenn, Debbie, Jude, Fletcher. Hannah was known by many as a bright young woman and had a heart of gold,” the description reads.

Money raised would go towards the funeral and the McGuire family, who had to close their business “while they take the time they need to get back up and running”.

“Let’s rally as a community and get behind this wonderful family. You were taken way too soon Hannah, but may you rest in peace.”

The family owns a local pub called the National Hotel Clunes. The family announced on Friday it would be shut due to unforeseen circumstances.

Overnight, the pub’s Facebook page shared a heartbreaking update that read: “The pub will be open as normal on Wednesday, we’ll leave you in the capable hands of Johnny Hind for a few days. Thank you everyone for your love, support and kind words. Our hearts are broken. ‘You weren’t just a star to us. You were our whole damn sky.’ Miss you Princess!”

Eureka Netball Club also paid tribute to its former player in a post on Saturday.

“Sending our deepest condolences to the family and friends of our past player, Hannah McGuire. Eureka Netball Club extend our deepest sympathy,” a spokesperson wrote.

Friend Caitlyn Stepnell wrote on social media yesterday that Ms McGuire would “forever be a little sister to me”.

“You were an amazing woman, an amazing friend, an amazing support / you were my hype girl,” she said. “I loved watching you become the woman you were and watching you grow.

“I will miss you every single day. My heart breaks, heaven has gained an angel. Goodbye for now, not forever.”

When police arrested Mr Young on Sunday, they also arrested another man – a 22-year-old – who has since been released.

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers.

Ms McGuire is the third woman to be allegedly murdered in Ballarat in three months.

The body of 42-year-old Ballarat woman Rebecca Young was found at home in February, near to the body of her partner in what police suspect was a murder-suicide.

Samantha Murphy, 51, was last seen in February leaving her home to go for a run. A 22-year-old man has been charged with Ms Murphy’s murder and the search for her body continues.