AFL 2024: St Kilda accepts Marcus Windhager suspension

Space-Separated Links URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL


St Kilda will accept gun midfielder Marcus Windhager’s suspension despite Essendon confirming Sam Durham was not concussed when the pair collided on Saturday night.

Bombers coach Brad Scott said Durham suffered “no ill effects” when he was hit high by Windhager during the second term of the tense clash at Marvel Stadium, but the Saints elected not to appeal the MRO decision to hand him a one-match ban.

Scott confirmed it was St Kilda veteran Seb Ross’ third quarter tackle that led to Durham being concussed and subbed out of the game.

Windhager’s earlier bump on Durham was graded as careless, medium impact and high contact, but Scott’s assessment could have helped the Saints had the charge been downgraded to low impact.

“(Durham) showed no ill effects from the Windhager contest, it was purely the tackle,” Scott said on Tuesday.

“I think it’s become pretty cut and dry now, as soon as the doctor said, ‘Look, we’re doing a concussion test’, we just lodged the paperwork to activate the sub.

“There’s a no-risk approach there and rightfully so.”

Ross was not charged over the tackle on Durham, which also hurt the Bombers midfielder’s shoulder.

“He’s recovered really well – the two things, I mean the concussion is the main one, that’s the reason he didn’t come back on the ground,” Scott said.

“If it had just been the shoulder, he would’ve come back on the ground last week and played this week.”

Richmond could be without versatile star Liam Baker for the Saints clash after he was also handed a one-match ban for jumping into Sydney defender Lewis Melican in a marking contest.

Melican was caught high in the collision and was also assessed by Swans medical staff for sore ribs.

The Tigers confirmed on Tuesday they would challenge Baker’s suspension at the tribunal.